Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Reading

The Glass Castle
On our trip to Alaska, since I was the co-pilot, I had time to read. My daughter told someone that leaving home without books would be worse for me than leaving home and forgetting my suitcase. She was right. I rarely leave home without a book and if I do, I feel like I've lost something. Two people suggested that I read The Glass Castle within just a few days. Both said it was a "must read". They were right. The Glass Castle is a memoir by Jeannette Walls. It details her harsh yet passionate childhood. She once hid that her parents were homeless and that she lived a childhood that few are able to escape. She now writes with surprising affection of her love of her parents. Those who read it will be touched.




The Talent Code
Last fall, Victoria Bernhardt worked in our school district. She had just begun reading The Talent Code. She shared a few snippets and recommended reading it. Since I'm an Amazon one-click purchaser, I came home that night and ordered it. I started the book and was very engaged by the text. I was so engaged, I pulled the original research cited in the book and worked it into one of my chapters in my dissertation. The book spoke to me on many levels. Coyle writes about specificity of language....feedback.....and the power of errors and learning from them. Mistakes can be blocked out of our minds---or---they can be seen as information to be used. "It's not the mistakes that are good or bad, but rather our reaction to them" (Coyle). It is this reaction, something that occurs within 0.25 seconds (some might even call it a reflex) that is a measurable quality and an accurate indicator of potential according to Coyle. Coyle explained that picturing our mistakes is like a navigation point....literally, inside the brain, neural circuits that help point you in the right direction. I wish everyone who teaches children would read this book. I believe understanding the power of specificity of feedback to children could revolutionalize our instruction.

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love book recommendations! The Glass Castle sounds incredible. I too, cannot leave home without a book. In fact, I will often pack my 'book' bag first before the first pair of socks or tee shirt is folded and in a bag. "Toothbrush? Soap? Clean underwear? Who needs them when I have BOOKS!!!" Hee hee! I will write these down on my ever-growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Glass Castle! I am wanting to read another Jeanette Walls novel, really enjoyed her style of writing. Have you read anything else of hers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just downloaded Half-Broke Horses...my first book to read on my iphone Kindle. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete