Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 4 Continued....

Here are some pictures we took along the way....beautiful aqua blue lakes.....honestly, even pictures do not do these views justice....
Folded mountains....

The Folded Mountains....so interesting....

More evidence for my research study....RV's on the road....
U-Hauls.....

We saw two fields of wild horses....this was just awesome!


Buffalo....



Lots...and lots of black bears....

More buffalo...
Lakes, Lakes, and Lakes

This is a typical gas station...
We had planned to stop in Watson Lake. Upon arrival, we noticed the motels were very old and looked run down. (My husband noticed boarded up windows in one.) We mustered up enough courage to see if there was a vacancy. We waited in a line with about 5 other families. There were 2 rooms left—one with a kitchenette and one regular room. The man in front of me came back, returned the key, and said (in broken English) “no want room”. The lady at the counter had been getting towels out of cabinet for another customer. My husband looked at me and said, “Let’s go.” We got in the car and he said, “If the room wasn’t good enough for that man, I don’t want us to stay there either. Did you see those towels she was handing out? They looked like the kind of towels I use to wash my car. There was no way I’d stay in that motel. I’d drive all night long before I’d stay there.”

I thought, oh boy, here we go, another day of even more driving. Luckily my husband had picked up a small brochure of the area and as we drove away, I flipped through the pages and noticed an advertisement for small cabins for rent. Within just a few miles, we saw them and pulled in.

There was a store/restaurant and a gift shop. We entered the store/restaurant. There were two guests eating dinner. The cook had just prepared it for them and he was waiting with his smiling face behind the counter. Since it was about 9:00PM and we hadn’t eaten dinner, my first question was, “Are you still serving dinner?” He responded, “Certainly, here’s a menu, have a seat and I’ll fix anything that you want.” My next question was “Do you have any rooms available?” He responded, “yes” and called someone to meet me next door in the gift shop.
Divide and conquer is usually our motto. I volunteered to take care of the room if my husband would order our dinner. The truth is, I wanted to make sure we had a place to stay. My husband had been driving lots of hours and I knew we needed to rest. The room was considered a 4-star room—the only one in the Yukon. Price didn’t really matter to me; although I was able to talk them down a little…she deducted about $50 when I told her my husband really wouldn’t want me to pay so much for the room. Within seconds of my paying for the room, my husband appeared. He said, “Did you take the room? How much was it?” The lady at the desk quickly responded that it was his wife’s treat. I quickly added that he didn’t need to worry about it. Of course I told him the price-- it was just a little over $200. He shook his head (no-no-no). I explained it was late, the next town was a long way, and the rooms there may look just like the last place. He quickly changed his mind and said “OK. It’s certainly better than the last place. They wanted $150 for that place and another man wouldn’t even stay in it.”






















No comments:

Post a Comment