Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Stories from Long Ago

"I noticed in The Way, that the church was calling an associate pastor to visit," I said to my Granny. Granny replied, "Yes, I read that too. I suspect that was decided long before they brought him here." Granny asked, "How much longer have you got before you get home?" "I don't know," I said, "depends on the traffic". Granny said, "When I was a little girl we used to go to the church that was closest to our house, which was for us, Presbyterian. Long ago, we didn't go around looking for churches of the denomination you liked, we just went to the one nearest your house. I remember that I joined the church right after Bible School. I was a little girl. I remember standing in front of the church alongside a lot of other little children and giggling. I don't remember who was with me or nothing, only standing there and giggling. I was a Presbyterian until after I married your grandaddy. Right after we were first married, we decided we needed to join the church to make everything right. We went to the Baptist Church then. We decided that we were going to join the church when the preacher opened the invitation. And when he did, I went right down the aisle and accepted the invitation and joined the church. They baptized me in a pool behind the church." "A river or pond?" I asked. She said, "No, a concrete pool. One with concrete all around." Your grandaddy never joined that church. And I never spoke of that day to him ever. I never asked him why. I figured it was his business if he wanted to join the church or not. I didn't think it was right for me to ask why he didn't do it. He was 50 years old before he joined the church. He joined Westview Baptist and was baptized when he was 50 years old. I never told hardly anybody this story. I bet you didn't know this story did you?" I said, "No, Granny, I didn't know this story." She said, you're still learning from your Granny aren't you? That's a good thing, to still be learning from your Granny." "I know it is," I said. "I know it is."

1 comment:

  1. i love reading about your Granny. it stirs up memories have have of my Big Mommy. thanks for sharing these special times.

    ReplyDelete