Monday, June 21, 2010

Potential Documentary on U-Hauling to Alaska!

My husband and I have a big adventure ahead of us. In the not so distant future we will be packing some of our daughter's furniture and wedding gifts, loading them onto a U-Haul truck, and then driving them to Alaska! It's only a little more than 4,000 miles!! I'm beginning to think about the many opportunities that will be afforded to us on this adventure. Here are some of the things I'm wondering.....



1. How many states will we pass through? I think we should take a picture at every state line.

2. How many hours will we drive a day? My husband has some pretty ambitious ideas......but I'm not sure how that will really pan out.

3. How long will it really take us? Sometimes things take longer than expected.

4. What will the roads be like in Canada? My husband made the adventure in October. Winter weather had already set in and deep layers of ice were on the roads. We think some of the roads he traveled may not really even have been paved! He just didn't realize it because the roads were a very thick layer of ice! But the big break up has occurred (that's what they call it when summer arrives and the ice melts)....and now the roads may not be quite so smooth!



Then....when I stop and think some more.....there are so many things even before we hit the road that I'm beginning to wonder about...such as:



1. Packing the truck. We have a lot of stuff to put in the truck. Will it all fit?

2. Weighing the truck. The truck has to be weighed before we load it and after we load it. I wonder how much all of the stuff will weigh?

3. How long will it take to load the truck? Luckily some very strong guys are coming to help load the truck...without them, I'd be really worried...and without them, I'd definitely be trying to recruit some helpers.

4. How fast will we be able to drive the truck? Where will we stop and rest?

5. How many miles will it get to the gallon? How much money will the gas cost?

6. Is my husband really going to make me take a turn driving? Seriously, he trusts me to drive!? Not usually.



As you can tell from this list of questions....my researcher's hat is back on again.....I think this adventure might be one to document. Who knows....someone else may need this information!! I doubt too many people will want to drive to Alaska, although we've been quite surprised at how many people have actually asked if they could make the journey with us. When you really stop and think about the opportunities that a trip like this will provide, that list can get pretty long quickly....



1. Seeing the United States of America....cross country....including parts of Canada.....and then all the way into Alaska.....close up and personal. Most people only make this trip at 50,000 feet....and then they miss the landscape, the people, the very fiber of our dear country. We'll have a chance to capture every bit....almost in slow motion....and savor it for eternity.



2. Time together. I've been consumed with working on my PhD for the past six years. My husband is a great conversationalist. He's a great listener. We have no problem filling up time. We talk about everything and anything. I've been consumed with work both professionally and personally and we have lots and lots to catch up on. I also love to read when we travel. Sometimes, if I'm reading a really good book, and he's driving, I'll read it aloud to him. Sometimes he tells me he's had enough and he needs some quiet time. And that's OK too. Everybody needs peace and quiet sometimes. We've been married 32 years. This will definitely be the biggest adventure we've ever encountered. Not packing the truck, not moving the furniture....we've made lots of moves......but the distance of this trip....from start to end. It's the greatest adventure we've ever embarked upon.



3. Squeezing in a few more days of time with our daughter and our new son-in-law. We won't see them again until the holidays. We need to love on them, up close. We need to help our daughter set up her new classroom....because that's what we do. We are her number one helpers....no matter where she lives....our goal is to always be there to help her set up her classroom. She's our only one.....and a big priority in our lives. Can you tell? I think the opportunities and blessing are endless.....I hope to capture them all.

4 comments:

  1. i'm oh so jealous. maybe one day i can embark on this journey! please take lots of pics and keep us updated. aubree truly was a beautiful bride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with April - SO jealous!! My parents are taking a cross-country trip in August and they'll be gone for a month. I keep telling them they need us to help navigate. :) Do take lots of pics. Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!!! I can't wait to follow your writings about this grand adventure! How fun to get to be a 'part' of it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Carrie, by the way (the above comment...) I'm CLR!! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete