Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Phase Two--Weigh the Truck







There are two parts to this phase. The first part begins immediately after picking up the truck. It is important to locate certified scales. Then the truck is weighed before the items are loaded. Next, the truck is weighed after everything is loaded. By doing this, the exact weight of the load can be determined. Here's a sign of the place we used. There is a one-way road entering the business which loops around to exit. My husband pulled up on the scales, the truck was weighed, and we were given a print out of the information. As we pulled straight ahead, we noticed someone had left a semi-tractor trailer in the drive through area. There was just enough room for us to squeak by without hitting the mirrors on the trailer. My husband commented that the trailer had been left in the wrong area, that this was the driveway and the parking lot was to the right.

As we pulled on through, we noticed red backing lights ahead of us from a cab of a tractor trailer truck. We realized the truck was backing, backing, backing, getting closer and closer to us. I said, "I don't think he even sees us sitting here!". "I think he's going to hit us!" When we were both convinced he was not planning to stop, my husband exited our truck and walked up beside the tractor trailer truck. I could hear loud voices and see my husband waving his hands in the air. He came back to the truck saying that the driver couldn't speak English. The driver simply said, "need to load trailer". There seemed to be nothing we could do except back up....So my husband backed our truck up, once more squeaking by the trailer. It was a lot more fun squeaking by it going backwards!! I could tell that this was going to be an adventure of a lifetime! We hadn't even left home and already excitement was in the air! My only regret is that I didn't take my husband's picture while he was standing beside the truck, waving his hands in the air. I think I was too afraid to have the camera in my hands....I thought I was going to have to jump behind the wheel and begin backing some more, because I wasn't sure the truck would ever stop!


1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with you that it is important to have the truck properly weighed. That way you can figure out the load amount to where you won't put strain on your truck trying to pull the load. I'm glad that the other truck driver didn't hit you guys. That would of not been a pretty sight! http://www.ancomascales.com/index.php/scales

    ReplyDelete