Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Memories....

As a little girl, I remember my mother decorating our Christmas tree. I helped her hang a few ornaments, but I imagine she did the bulk of the work. I had one special ornament, a red velvet reindeer. She always let me hang it on the tree. When we were at my mother's recently, my nephews showed me a small tree they had helped my mother decorate. They delightfully showed me the red reindeer and announced "this is yours".

In December, our daughter sent us a picture of her Christmas tree. It is decorated with ornaments we had collected. Each year since she was born, I purchased two Christmas ornaments---two for her and the same two for me. We always tried to find ornaments to remind us of something special that occured that year. Even though our daughter is living over 4,000 miles away, I was amazed at how connected I felt to her knowing that her tree was decorated with the same ornaments as ours. Little did my mother know that she gave me the love of sharing Christmas ornaments with my daughter....and I hope my daughter will share this same love with her children. Traditions....memory makers.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a wonderful spin on the 'ornament a year' tradition. We too, give the kids a new ornament every year with something that signifies that year. This year we could proudly present Zach with his Raider ornament for his senior year, and in two more, Courtney will receive hers (can you believe it?). I LOVE the idea of having the identical ornaments that you bought Aubree over the years. I was already a little melancholy this year as I gazed over each one on the tree, knowing that in a few short years, Zach's would make their new home on a tree of his own.

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Blessings to you in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little red velvet reindeer ornament was your's? I always thought it was mine! LOL It was always my favorite anyway, next to the little plastic manger scene I got from somewhere. Wasn't my ornament the little elf? I cannot remember. Do you remember those "stained glass" ornaments we got once from K-mart? They were flat plastic cutouts and you had to "paint" the "stain" onto them?

    ReplyDelete