Sunday, June 5, 2011

Saturday: A Day Trip Adventure



One of our favorite things to do on our days off work is to get in the car and go for a drive. Sometimes we have an idea of where we want to go and other times we just get in the car and start riding. That's what we did on Saturday. Our adventure took us to Elijay with a stop at Cantaberry Cafe for lunch and then wandering through the antique store across the street. Next we drove to Blue Ridge and then to Lake Notteley in Blairsville. We drove through Vogel State Park and then stopped for a hike to Helton Falls. We drove to Dahlonega and had dinner on the square.


Dinner on the porch of the Oyster Bar was an experience that gave us an interesting conversation the rest of the evening. You will notice in the picture above, there is a small table just to my husband's left. After we sat down a young man and his date sat down at the empty table. While he looked at the menu and talked to the waitress, his date went to the restroom. When she returned, she read the menu, seeming not to notice that her date could not take his eyes off of her. At first I thought that perhaps they were newlyweds, but they were not. I'm not certain what they were discussing when the owner stopped by to chat with them, but great laughter evoked and the conversation was loud enough we could hear every word. We soon learned that the couple was on their sixth date and had not had sex.


Due to the close proximity of their table and that they talked rather loudly, we could hear almost everything they said. At one point, they leaned over and talked with us too.....


The lady asked, "Which one of you is the oldest?"


I quickly responded, "I'm the youngest, he's two years older than me."


She said, "You break the rules then, lots of times, women are the oldest. I am 40 and my date is 34."


My husband added, "We're doing pretty good because we've been married 35 years."


She said, "What's your secret?" At that very moment, our waitress walked past us, but after hearing the question, she turned back around and said, "I need to hear this too because I've been dating a guy for a couple of years."


I responded, "It's about commitment and hard work."


My husband said, "It is hard work. He continued to explain that we were high school sweethearts before we were married.


The lady said, "My father's been married five times and on his third try, he married his high school sweetheart."


The lady said, "I can tell by the way you look at your wife that you still think she's hot. And I can tell by the way that she looks at you, that she thinks you are hot. So many times I see couples out and I can tell that the wife is board to death with the husband and that he is board to death with her."


Throughout dinner, my husband and I listened to this couple discuss their relationship, which one was secure in the relationship or not. The lady told the man that she wanted to see how he acted in front of his brother and his friends....whether he would act the same way as he does with her or would he act differently. She indicated that a person should be the same no matter who he is with or what they are doing. The man didn't agree with her because he said when he was with his brother or other people, he would have different thoughts than he would have when he was with her. It became a rather heated discussion...I was pretty sure that if I had been in the conversation, I would have never gone out with either one of them again. At one point, my husband leaned in to me and said, I think I should go ahead and tell him to wave the white flag because this relationship is never going to make it. I was thinking the exact same thing. Oh, how I love our long drives....the things we do together....the things we see....and the people we meet along the way.








No comments:

Post a Comment